Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Take A Look At Life

This note comes from my personal facebook page. I wrote this about 2 months into our stay at the Ronald House when Laurelyn was at her sickest. As I sat in the room with the doctor listening to her (what at the time sounded like a big blur of words) tell us we should consider stopping all treatments as they felt we were doing more to her than for her! It was after that conversation that I started thinking about life and people taking things for granted. I learned so much about myself and about life in those 5 months we spent in the NICU! 

Not sure where to begin with this. And I know this isn’t going to be written the greatest but hopefully I can get a couple points across. I have found this to be a very emotional week for me. In these short 2 months of living in the Ronald McDonald house and constantly being at the hospital, I have learned so much. It seems lately a lot of people are complaining about how terrible their lives, family and friends are. Complaining about the weather and how it’s too hot or too cold. Food isn’t good enough, jobs suck, a cold that really isn’t that bad but complain that it feels like your life is going to end. Friends who backstab, family who fight over dumb issues or just that life in general sucks. Now I am by no means saying I am perfect. I am guilty of some of these things too! But let me explain to you some of the experiences I have witnessed and been a part of and then you look in the mirror and tell me how hard your life really is. 
When you complain about family and petty little things I want you to think about the family I saw at the hospital huddle together crying because a mom just lost her little baby and they don’t know why. It stops you dead in your tracks when you see something like that. Your heart aches for that family. All you can hear the family saying is “why don’t the doctors know why I lost my baby, how could this happen?” My prayers instantly went to that family. 
Another family with a very sick child staying with us is never without family! A mother’s life is 100% dedicated to being by that child 24 hours a day while her child is sick, fighting for their life and confined to a wheelchair. And yet some people have the nerve to complain about never getting to go out. Just try and put yourself in that child and mothers position. That is true love and dedication! 
When your food is too cold or not good enough for you, think about the little children here who can’t even keep food down because of their chemo treatments and other meds. The little kids who look at a piece of cake or candy like it is the most beautiful thing in the world but know they can’t have it because it will make them too sick. Does your food taste better now? Mine surely does! 
It’s too hot or too cold outside. There are children here who aren’t even allowed to leave their rooms because it is too dangerous to be exposed to simple germs that to us mean nothing but to them mean life or death. The only time they get to experience the weather is on the way to their doctors visits and I will tell you I have NEVER heard one of these children whine about the weather on their way out. Instead they smile and take a deep breath and embrace this weather! I have seen some of them watching the playing ground from their room windows with a smile and in my heart I know they are just dreaming of that day that they can go outside and play!
I’ve gotten to know a couple here who are struggling with trying to find a place to live. They have a newborn baby and an older one who is very sick in the hospital and social services threatening to take their oldest one away if they do not find housing within a week. They are very nice caring people who are struggling. Amazing how a situation like having a sick child can make you lose everything. In order to take care of their child and be with him in the hospital they ended up losing their jobs and their home. Is your home feeling a little more comfy yet? 
Friends stabbing you in the back? How about the single mother I have met here with a beautiful little 4 month old baby that is having very serious medical problems. She is doing this all alone. She spends her days and nights at the hospital by her baby girls side and because of that decision she also lost her job. Her baby daddy walked out on her when things got to hard and her family didn’t support the decision she made previously to be with the man she was with so they left her. This girl really touches my heart because she is a beautiful person and is going through similar things that I am! I will support her even if no one else will. How bad are your friends now?
I have met so  many incredible people since I have been here and heard some incredible stories. These are just a few of them and I can tell you that after hearing what some people are going through, life really isn’t that bad and it is true that someone out there always has it worse than you! Try and remember that the next time you complain about something petty and small. Be thankful for every little gift God has blessed you with! Don’t take life for granted! God has shown me a whole different world since being down here! He blessed me with the most amazing daughter! For those who don’t know, I was told I would never be able to have children and I even went through several fertility treatments with my ex husband. It killed me to know that I would never have kids but in this God had different plans for me. He would help me to meet a man that I would love with all of my heart and He blessed both of us with our beautiful baby girl. Even though she wasn’t planned and came 4 months early, I couldn’t be more thankful! She has shown me what true strength is and gave me a different outlook on life! I only wish everyone could see through my eyes for one day and see all of the miracles around me here at the Ronald McDonald house and the hospital. God sure is great! So please the next time you think life is so hard and rough, take a second out and think about all the people around you that may be struggling much worse than you and you don’t even know it.  Even though they may be smiling and look strong on the outside it doesn’t mean they aren’t hurting on the inside! Let the small petty things go and hug your family and your friends. Tell them you love them and appreciate them! Choose your battles. Sometimes it’s easier to just let things go and move on instead of dwelling on it and turning it into so much more than it is! I want to tell everyone I love you! I appreciate you! Even though I may not get to say it all the time I want you to know it! Prayers and Gods blessings to you all!
                                                                               With Love- Jerene

No comments:

Post a Comment