Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The First 5 Months Of A NICU Stay!

Just a little bit of what we have gone through! The first couple posts on here will be from her page on facebook!

Aug. 24th, 2012 Labor began. Just had my 23 week checkup the night before and everything was good. This night I ended up having cramping so went into the hospital where they told me I was dilated to a 4 and my mucus membrane was out and I was taken by ambulance to the Riverside/Amplatz hospital in Minneapolis. Once I got there I was told I had to lay still and only roll from side to side because any other movement would risk breaking my water. They gave me meds to stop the contractions and steroids to help develop Laurelyn's lungs.

Aug. 28th, 2012 I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl via c-section. I got to hear her squeak once and see her for a minute before they brought her up to the NICU and started taking care of her. She came into the world at 1 lb. 6.9 oz and just over a foot long. She fit in the palm of my hand! The tiniest most beautiful baby I have ever seen! 

Aug. 30th, 2012 Laurelyn starts receiving her first blood transfusion because her body could not produce blood fast enough for them to draw blood for tests.

Aug. 31st, 2012 Laurelyn was having problems breathing and they discovered that she was getting blood in her lungs. They put her on an oscillator to help her breathe easier and not have to work her lungs so hard.

Sept. 1st, 2012 Doctors discover that Laurelyn has Stage 3 and 4 bleeding in both sides of her brain.

Sept. 4th, 2012 Laurelyn drops to her lowest weight of 1 lb. 3 oz.

Sept. 10th, 2012 Doctors found Laurelyn has a very dangerous infection in her blood and intestines, low blood pressure and additional swelling in her brain.

Sept. 12th, 2012 Doctors pull Erik and I into a room and tell us that her infection is so bad that we should consider stopping all treatments because they feel we are doing more to her than for her. We told them to do everything they can to save our baby girl! That night she is brought down for an emergency surgery to put a tube in to fix a perforated intestine and try to fix this infection.

Sept. 20th, 2012 It has been over 3 weeks since she was born and I finally get to hold her for the first time!

Sept. 28th, 2012 A temporary shunt is placed in her head to try and reduce the blood and fluid build up.

Oct. 2nd, 2012 I was able to change her diaper for the first time!

Oct. 9th, 2012 She made it one hour off of the vent before having to go back on it.

Oct. 11th, 2012 Her shunt is tapped due to more fluid build up.

Oct. 16th, 2012 Her first time getting breastmilk!

Oct. 22nd, 2012 Her shunt is tapped again.

Oct. 25th, 2012 Shunt is tapped once again and they removed 15 mLs of fluid.

Oct. 26th, 2012 A blood clot is discovered in her left arm

Oct. 31st, 2012 Laurelyn is diagnosed with Stage 3 ROP 

Nov. 1st, 2012 VP shunt is placed

Nov. 5th, 2012 Laurelyn is struggling after her VP shunt is placed. Her lung is collapsing, she is retaining fluid and now has an infection from her tubes.

Nov. 14th, 2012 Made it off of the vent for 5 hours before being placed back on it.

Nov. 15th, 2012 A fracture is found in her left arm

Nov. 28th, 2012 She is off of her vent for good and placed on CPAP

Dec. 21st, 2012 My actual due date!

Dec. 26th, 2012 I was able to bottle feed for the first time!

Dec. 31st, 2012 She is placed on low flow 

Jan. 9th, 2013 We start meeting with the discharge nurse!

Jan. 13th, 2013 I got to give her a bath for the first time and daddy fed her a bottle for the first time!

Jan. 17th, 2013 Laurelyn decided to stop taking feedings by mouth so she is sent down to have a g-tube placed and to fix a hernia in her belly button.

Jan. 25th, 2013 She passed her carseat test!

Jan. 28, 2013 Laurelyn is 5 months old today and we are going home!!!

*With her ROP she had 2 injections done in both eyes but I am unsure of the dates. I know there is more stuff but I will have to look back to find it and when I do I will add it to this list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment